What To Do After An Accident
If you’ve been in an accident, following these steps can help ensure your legal representation and health are in the best position they can be.
- 1. Notify Police
- Always obtain a police report before leaving the scene of an accident!
- 2. Seek Medical Care
- Serious injuries require immediate medical care; however, some injuries may not be felt until days after an accident. Always get checked out by a medical professional after an accident, even if you don’t think you need it.
- 3. Seek Legal Advice
- Insurance companies will always act in their own best interests! Call Colby now to help handle your potential claim, large or small.
- 4. Open Claim
- Colby will evaluate your case at no cost to you and will help begin the claims process with the insurance company.
- 5. Investigation
- Once a claim is filed, the insurance company will perform an investigation to determine coverage and liability for the accident. The Investigation Phase often takes time and requires patience.
- 6. Continue Medical Care
- During the Investigation Phase, you should continue to keep your doctor’s appointments and complete treatment with your physicians. You should always follow the treatment plan prescribed by your doctors since it can hurt your case if you don’t.
- 7. Present a Demand
- Once your doctors notify Colby that your treatment is complete, Colby and his staff will gather all of your medical records and submit a monetary demand to the insurance company, who will then evaluate the demand.
- 8. Negotiation
- The insurance company will review the demand and will typically make an offer to settle. But remember, the insurance company is only looking out for their interest. This means that these offers are often unfair to you.
Colby will attempt to negotiate a fair settlement, but if the insurance company refuses to do the right thing, your case may go to trial.
- 9. Finalization of Case
- Your case will end either through negotiation (settlement) or a final trial (judgment.) Colby will be with you every step of the way, expertly dealing with anything the insurance company throws your way.
- 10. Client Compensation!
- After all of these steps, the case will be over and you will receive a check for what you’ve been through. Providing these checks to clients is Colby and his team’s favorite part of their job!